Red, White, Blue, and Green
1/29/2008 09:05:00 PM | Author: Adam Hunter
This ain't my American dream
I wanna live and die for bigger things
I'm tired of fighting for just me
This ain't my American dream
--from "American Dream" by Switchfoot

So I was talking to my friend Diane earlier today, and she mentioned how she is thankful for God's grace because she has so many things that she doesn't need. Well I, being the critic I often am, took that statement and turned it into a conversation about how Americans are incredibly spoiled.

Now before I step onto my little soapbox, I'd like to say that I am just as much at fault as the next person. This is in no way meant to be condescending because I am on the same level. Nor is this meant as a generalization. I'm well aware that there are plenty of people out there who aren't spoiled and/or selfish.

Anyway...

Most Americans are spoiled rotten. Look around. People have houses, televisions, computers, cars, cell phones. But what do you hear so many people say? I can't tell you how many times I've heard students on CSU's campus say stuff like, "I can't wait until I get a new car" or "I've had my phone for a year already. It's time to get a new one." Once again, I have to confess that I'm just as guilty as anyone for this. My freshman year in college I drove a decent '98 Nissan Altima and I had a standard camera-phone, which was better than what most students my age had at the time. But I wanted something new and "better." My car and phone were working perfectly fine, but I wouldn't be content with them. I wanted a new truck and a new phone. So now, two years later, I have a 2004 Ford Sport Trac and a Verizon enV. Yet even now I'll catch myself thinking, "Man I wish I could get another new car" or "Dude I want an iPhone so bad!"

Not only are we spoiled, but we're also ungrateful. So many Americans have so much stuff, yet they take it all for granted because, well, that's the American way. This certainly applies to "rich people" who have tons of money, cars, big TV's, etc. But this even applies to people who would be considered "lower class." Consider somebody who lives in a single-wide trailer in a trashy trailer park with just one little black-and-white TV and one junky car. That sucks, right? That's pretty low class, right? Well now consider the people in third-world countries who would literally kill to have a life like that. The people who literally live in boxes. The people who not only don't have a TV or a car, but don't have running water or electricity. Living in that trashy little trailer doesn't seem so bad to them.

So what? We're Americans. We work hard for what we've got, so we deserve to have it. Okay. No arguments here. You deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labor. But do you really
need all that you have? Do you really need the biggest HD flatscreen TV? Do you really need the fastest computer? Do you really need the most high-tech car? Do you really need a phone that can play music, surf the net, take pictures, and record videos? No, I really think most people could get by without those things.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I don't really have a solution to it. And it's not really just Americans. The human race in general is innately selfish. I'm just kind of irked about this because I heard a couple of days ago that the United States has enough food to feed all the starving people in this world. So I can't help but ask the question,
"Then why are they starving?"

That's my soapbox for the day.

|
This entry was posted on 1/29/2008 09:05:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On January 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM , Emily Makar said...

throw some switchfoot in anything and i'll read it... but that's not the only reason why, hahah ;D
good post though...it's true! we've gotta give back somehow.